Monday, February 21, 2011

Yoga retreat


So this weekend I abandoned my boys and went off to a lodge in Laikipia right near Mt Kenya for a Yoga retreat. It was my first time going on a yoga retreat and it was about time seeing as I love yoga so much.
It was just a LONG way to drive - it took us 6 hours to get there due to bad traffic getting out of Nairobi. And 5 hours to get back due to slow driving!
There was also no cell phone reception there which was quite disturbing... I wanted hourly updates on how Dad and son were getting on dammit! So I ended up going on to very early morning bush walks just so that I could get to the top of the nearest ridge and get some coverage. Nevermind the hippos and ellies we came across!

We did 4 intense sessions during the course of the weekend and I really felt like I made some progress. I managed to get my elbow stand right and I improved my coming up and going down into back bend. We also learnt all about one's chakras and we meditated a fair amount. I'm not into either of those two things to be honest... I just love the physical aspect of yoga. Specifically Ashtanga yoga which is what we do.
I've been practicing Ashtanga now for about a year and 3 months and I LOVE it. I do the primary series twice a week with Oriane - the most amazing yoga teacher I'm sure I'll ever come across. And once a week we do a free form class which ultimately improves our Ashtanga. So 3 yoga classes a week plus a retreat or two should mean I will be able to do the entire primary series sooner or later. I get 3/4 of the way through it, until I get to the posture where my feet have to go behind my head and there I get stuck! So one of my goals this year is to be able to do the entire series. I've already made SUCH progress, its so motivating. And I feel so good and so strong from all this yoga. Its a serious workout.

Benedikt coped really well with Nicolas. Our ayah (nanny) looked after him while Benedikt went on rides on Saturday and Sunday morning then he had Nic the rest of the time. So he had to change pooey nappies, feed him meals and get up in the night - 3 things he doesnt usually do! I think Benedikt really enjoyed the weekend with his son. And he learnt a lot - so much so that this morning Benedikt was telling me how to do things!

Its my mums birthday today - Happy Birthday Lady!

No comments: